With the recent news coverage of Linda McDougal’s breast amputations following a false positive lab test for breast cancer, more people than ever are taking health care into their own hands. You are, of course, the only one ultimately in charge of your health.
Here are some tips from Waking the Warrior Goddess:
- Fresh, organic fruits and veggies, especially the cancer-fighting cruciferous vegetables broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, and high-antioxidant berries.
- Organic whole grains. Whole grains contain a wealth of anti-oxidants, vitamins, trace minerals, fiber and lignans.
- Immune-enhancing maitake mushrooms.
- Health-promoting fats, like omega-3 fatty acids from 2 – 3 tablespoons of fresh-ground flax seeds, or a serving of wild-caught salmon, daily. Avoid saturated and trans fats like the plague — they destroy health.
- Green tea. 6 – 10 cups per day has been found to lower the risk of breast cancer.
- Turmeric. Potent antioxidant and anti-inflamatory. It’s the number 1 anti-cancer spice, commonly used in Indian cooking. Add 1/4 teaspoon at the end of cooking to just about any food.
- Seaweeds, like wakame, kelp, dulce, etc. They are high in iodine, which may be more effective in killing breast cancer cells than many common chemo drugs.
- Vitamins and minerals. Lower your risk of breast and most other types of cancers with 200 mcg daily of selenium, which is also a mood booster. Vits B12, folate, D and E also help to destroy cancer growth.
- CoEnzyme Q10 is thought to help contain or inhibit tumor growth.
Remember also to detox. Detoxification of all body organs helps to keep the body running smoothly and healthily, and enables it to heal itself.
Stay away from
- Red Meat. People who eat the most red meat have a higher risk of breast cancer.
- Inactivity. Fat cells manufacture estrogen, especially after menopause. In fact, obesity is thought to be responsible for 20 to 30 percent of all postmenopausal breast cancers. Get 30 minutes of aerobic exercise (walking, vacuuming, anything) 3 to 5 times per week and you’ll lower your risk of breast cancer by 30 to 50 percent.
- Cigarettes. If you want to keep smoking or hanging out with people who smoke, you’ll increase your risk of breast cancer by 60 percent. Why bother? Who’s more important?
- Birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Long-term use has been linked to several kinds of cancer, breast cancer included.
- Toxins. Stay away from anything but natural cleaning and beauty products. Eat certain fishes in moderation. Don’t have your clothes dry-cleaned. Have your dentist change your old “silver” fillings to new composite fillings. The old “silver” fillings actually also have mercury in them and that mercury slowly leaks into your body, causing a host of physical and mental maladies.
- Anything that depletes melatonin, the sleep hormone, such as staying up past 10pm, alcohol, and electromagnetic fields such as high-power lines and all electrical appliances (eg: computers!).